Wednesday 28 September 2011

Dublin, Budapest, and Fish Creek?

Well hello my friends. I hope you all enjoyed a spectacular sunrise this morning? With this extended summer in Calgary we are enjoying some beautiful red skies as the sun peeks over the horizon to grace the prairie landscape. I am sure the farmers are enjoying the great weather to harvest their bounty. Let’s hope that the rest of fall is as beautiful as day one…

It is the last weekend before Joy and myself trip off to Budapest for our own little run and bike journey through Hungary and England. We are starting our trip with a marathon (me) and 30 km (Joy) before the REAL marathon of biking, shopping, and World Skills-ing! Wish Joy luck as she has to deal with my personality of GO-GO-GO on vacation…We will see you until Tuesday and then again on the 19th.

A big Ya-Hoo goes out to Candy, Jayne, and Marj for what looks like some great times in Dublin at the half marathon. There were some issues in the days leading up to the event but it looks like all the bits and bites of pain were only temporary. Well done my friends! I hope the Guinness was even more flavourful in the hours after the event.

Now let’s talk about a run. Last weekend we were kind to our northern neighbours by trotting out of Bowness Park. I was quite excited that we had new peeps that had never experienced Blood and Guts, Bowmont Park, and Bow Crescent. Hopefully these road trips allow you to explore and enjoy more of our beautiful city. Tomorrow I am going to make you all come to our hood of Mallard Point in Fish Creek Park. We are going to explore Carburn Park, Southland off-leash, Lake McKenzie escarpment, and maybe even a little bit of Cranston. As well I might add some of the Harvest Half marathon route for those trying this race next weekend. Our trot will start at 8 am from the parking lot at the very east end of Canyon Meadows Drive. Keep going east until you see park, then park. We might even show up on time. Now about you northerners…

See you all tomorrow!

With Joy  and me out of the country for the following couple of Saturdays I would suggest that the group meets at Eau Claire YMCA for the same 8 am. For the new people, we have always met inside the YMCA next to the pool. The weeknight training will remain the same. The weekend following Thanksgiving we will revert back to 9 am as by then the sun will still be sleeping, and we can get up too early!

Chocolate! Now that I have your attention, one of our runners would like to let you know about some fundraising chocolate she is offering the group. Janelle and Afton  will be bringing chocolates to sell Tuesday and Thursday after training? They figure if people have a heads up then they will bring a couple Toonies for a fix. Also, my Yoga Karma Day is happening at Bikram Yoga NW tomorrow. The classes are at 8am, 10am, noon and 4pm. Minimum donation is just $5. All the details are on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=106593866114396

I do know they are also hosting a single's auction. We're holding it November 19th at Redwater Downtown. If anyone is interested in volunteering, or any singles interested in being auctioned off, please email me @ janelle_1_2000@hotmail.com.

I always like to know that someone was inspired by one of my stories. Here is a note from Idaho… As I train for the NYC marathon this November, I am very happy to know that I am training for my own race.  My mantra is - Do my best, no excuses. 
If I can finish my race and know I've done all I can do on that particular day, then I am happy.  My goal for this race also includes a new personal best time.  I understand my body and training more now than when I did my first marathons with the Joints in Motion program, and am enjoying distance running more than ever!

My friend sent me this link, I am wondering if you've read the article.  I thought you'd enjoy it as it relates to your below email topic.  It is a great blog entry by Clara Hughes.

Thanks Shelanda!

And my comments about margarine elicited some great response! From desires to eat Kraft Dinner to calling out the ‘myth’ I produced, I really like the feedback. So here is a very passionate rebuttal from our good friend Russell.  

Whomever sent the Margerine  link….I think they got the urban myth page…

I don’t know if you clicked on the link from that page but…have a look
oddly look at the first two myths….

And…

Sometimes I read a story and just shake my head at how much we limit our success some crazy rules. Greg shared this story from the New York Times and shows that we are not all created equal. It makes me wonder if we will ever get to see another marathon world record (other than Olympics) as I don’t think there are more than a handful of Women-only events in the world. Just dumb if you ask me. I get my butt kicked by women all the time (two at home!) and they deserve the accolades they receive. They too work hard and should be treated as an equal. Why should men be okay with pacers and not women? I ask for your thoughts!





No comments:

Post a Comment