Thursday 26 January 2012

So what it's hot? or not!

Howdy all. We are enjoying some fantastic winter weather with chinook after chinook rolling through these next few days. Joy is not such a fan as she gets those dreaded pressure headaches but for me? Woo Hoo. Sorry Joy.

With the fantastic weather I think we should try for a trot around the reservoir or thereabouts. Let's meet at McDonalds Glenmore Landing for a 9 am start to test the structural integrity of the reservoir ice cap. Anyone in? You first!

And a reminder to all that the weeknight training is exclusively out of the Tech Shop on 4th Street unless we see a need to go all crazy and change a route...At least we get to see Scott again.
-----

As many of you know I just never shut up while we train. Some might enjoy this as a motivator to help through those tough times, but others just drown me out with their own distraction, the I-pod. I remember my first Sony Walkman I used as I wandered the streets aimlessly...WAIT...I think the Ghetto Blaster was first on my shoulder? Tough to run with though. That Walkman helped me understand that running and music were actually a good pairing. But eventually my batteries died (those first ones took 4 batteries) and the trot was left to the sounds of cars honking at me as I crossed the street dazed and confused.

Then I got a Sony mini-disk player. Bought it at the Ski sale at Max Bell arena. Where else would you find the latest electronic marvel? Yep, four times oversampling meant that if I tried to run more than standing still it would skip and skip and skip. I think the CD covered more ground than me.

Now people are into the I-pod generation. I bought Joy a second generation version. Not as big as the Ghetto blaster but compared to the newer styles might well have been. The technology has almost skipped past me as now the I-something something has made it more difficult for me to natter on as we trot the trails.

Here is a story from my favourite marathon destination in Canada. (I wish I was that good to have my name as my race number. How cool would that be???)

Music helps harmonize motivation

By Ben Kaplan, Postmedia News

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/health/Music+helps+harmonize+motivation/6057482/story.html#ixzz1kcHJAuLK

Plenty of serious athletes have become synonymous with their tunes. Michael Phelps listened to Lil Wayne at the Beijing Olympics and Paula Radcliffe (pictured), the women's world-record holder in the marathon, likes to listen to Stronger by Kanye West to get pumped up for a run.
 

Plenty of serious athletes have become synonymous with their tunes. Michael Phelps listened to Lil Wayne at the Beijing Olympics and Paula Radcliffe (pictured), the women's world-record holder in the marathon, likes to listen to Stronger by Kanye West to get pumped up for a run.

Photograph by: Odd Andersen, AFP/Getty Images

Dave Scott-Thomas is about as influential a figure in Canadian distance running as the guys organizing your races or making your shoes. As the head coach of the Speed River Track Club at the University of Guelph, Scott-Thomas oversees the training programs for Reid Coolsaet and Eric Gillis, the two fastest marathon runners in the country.


But that doesn't mean the coach and former competitive racer is beyond ridicule from his friends. A few years ago, he slapped on his iPod and ran across campus. Unwittingly, he unleashed the floodgates of scorn.


"A strength coach saw me and sent an email to our alumni group outing me: 'I saw Dave running with earphones; clearly, he's past his prime and will never compete again,' " Scott-Thomas says. "I had gone to the dark side. Listening to music is just one of those things in the running culture that separates a runner from a jogger. A real runner would never be caught wearing headphones - it's embarrassing."


In 2007, the New York City Marathon banned the use of headphones and faced tremendous pushback from participants. As technology has improved, making portable music players ever smaller and more customizable for a run, a great swath of the running community began plugging in while lacing up their shoes.


There are websites such as Running Music Mix and Jog Tunes dedicated to creating mixes with the right beats-per-minute to match runners' heartbeats and strides. There is also a popular series of half-marathons in London, England, called Run to the Beat, in which the rock, hip hop and dubstep tunes played are as big a selling point as the course.


"Music reduces the perception of effort by some 10 per cent and that's not to be sniffed at," says Costas Karageorghis, a sports psychologist with London's Brunel University School of Sport and Education, and an early organizer of Run to the Beat.


"It's also helpful before strenuous exercise, priming us and creating a mood that predisposes us to want to work out - music that's arousing functions like a stimulant or a legal drug."


Plenty of serious athletes have become synonymous with their tunes. Michael Phelps listened to Lil Wayne at the Beijing Olympics and Paula Radcliffe, the women's world-record holder in the marathon, likes to listen to Stronger by Kanye West to get pumped up for a run.


Karageorghis, who examined the effect of music on runners in a study published in the Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, has found a seven per cent increase in efficiency in runners who can synchronize their steps to a beat. Songs with beats-per-minute around 130, which matches the stride of most runners, include Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5, Jai Ho, the theme song from Slumdog Millionaire, and pretty much everything from the dance band LMFAO.


According to Karageorghis, who is also coauthor of Inside Sport Psychology, a budding runner can increase endurance nine per cent and motivation 15 per cent simply by listening to music while running.

"Our work has shown that music has the propensity to enhance how we feel, even at very high exercise intensity," says Karageorghis, who ran track while studying for his music and sports science master's degree. "If a runner likes to focus inwardly, music can be an unwanted distraction, but for people who have a tendency for disassociation and are looking for external distraction, I'd recommend a combination of visual and musical stimuli."


None of the elite marathon runners listen to music when they're training seriously. It's too important to listen to their coaches and bodies and, more often than not, each day's run involves changing tempos and switching speeds.


Still, if you're having a hard time getting out the door on a cold January morning, there's nothing wrong with throwing on the Rocky theme.


"I still listen to music about once every three months when I don't really want to think and it's a grey, stale day," Scott-Thomas says. "Music is good for the soul."

-----
Okay, really? I checked out this new carrier that removes the water from your waste and puts it around your neck. Not sure how comfortable it would be to have a pound of water pulling on your esophagus. But i think it could be fun to try it out. These are the times that I miss operating the Tech Shop. These crazy samples of the next running craze that the supplier want you to purchase. Well, I did hit it right with Fuelbelt in 2001. But really???



-----

Hey, you all know my affinity to bacon. Well, thanks Jodi for your sharing of my summer barbeque treat. I encourage you all to share!
 Newfoundland Turtle Burgers ... 
Handmade  ground beef patties, topped with sharp cheddar  cheese, wrapped in a bacon weave,
Then the next  step, add hot dogs as the heads, legs with slits  for toes and tail. 

Next  step.  Place on an oven rack, covered loosely  with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes at 400  degrees.
 
Or you can do them on the Barbee,  too.  A little crispy, not too crunchy...just  how a turtle should be,  right? 
Should be served in close proximity to a portable defibrillator unit!

2 comments:

  1. I was worried at first... move water from my 'waste' (ew)... then after I saw the video it moved water from my 'waist'- and then I was 'relieved'...haha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes Tamara, I did notice that I mis-spelled 'waste'. Perhaps a water bottle that has this function would be revolutionary, especially on the long run! Now THAT I could make money on...

      For now I will infer that this product is a waste for me and will never be seen around my waist. But really it was never meant for there in the first place!

      Delete