Thursday 22 December 2011

My Christmas wish list

Well howdy neighbours.Only two more weekends of training and another year is in the books. We went from overstuffed holiday eaters to restarting our training, then peaked with some events, followed by winding down and now back to overstuffed holiday eaters. I wouldn't have it any other way. I love this vicious cycle!

For the short term our troop will be trotting as normal tonight from the Tech Shop. We will be heading out to the Sandy Beach Christmas tree for one last loop in support of our friend Ally who lost her dog of 15 years, Sydney. Join us for a hug and a chance to hang a photo of her lifelong friend. Of course if you can't make the trot, we will gladly accept hugs at Original Joe's for our post debrief.

Saturday our friends will meet at the Eau Claire YMCA for a short trip around the downtown. Come check out the Peace Bridge (perhaps we will occupy it?) and share a loopy loop with loopy friends. You know you need to lower the load before you fill it back up on Sunday! See you at 9 am inside the Y. I am excited to see how Jen does following a few weeks of tanning and running in Hawaii!

As for next week. I will have relatives in from Ontario that may take me away from our group. Tri-It is closed for our usual Tuesday visit so I would suggest that the meeting place for Tuesday and Thursday will be the Tech Shop at 630 pm. I might be there but don't hold your breath! As for next Saturday the 31, What better way to prepare for a lively night of drinking and festive cheer than to dehydrate yourself with a Saturday run??? I might suggest it in Fish Creek from our house but I will chat with HRH Joy as to our plans for the last day with family.
-----

So I titled my little weekly yada-yada my Christmas wish list. So what am I wishing for myself, and more importantly for my trail buddies? I am pretty sure the first thing on all of our lists is to remain healthy throughout our training and especially on race day! My body is starting to catch up to my age, but thankfully my mind is still ten years (okay twenty-ish) younger than both. WEEE!

I also wish for lost friendships on the trails to be regained. I have been blessed to meet so many wonderful people in my thirty years of running and still run into familiar faces. Our troop has expanded to many areas of the world, Twyla in New Zealand, John and Marguerite in Australia, Ken and Dori in India, Jill and Alex in the UK, Quentin in Thailand, Pat in Japan, and all those that have moved across our continent. We have reduced, regenerated, and recovered our friendships fostered by that initial left-right repeat.

I wish for all of us to get the opportunity to do that dream goal in 2012. What is it for you? I would love to know and share with the rest of us. I keep thinking of my running must-do's and they always seem to return to the dirt. Must be my affinity for the 'undulations' that are constantly discussed by the group and often pointed out (by a certain middle finger) that the are number one in their training. Whether the "Dances with Dirt" race in Hell, Michigan, Zermatt marathon in Switzerland, or another of those crazy ultra's that I try to convince you all they are doable (patience wins!), the dirt is calling me in 2012 and you might just see some stinky socks in the laundry next year. Sorry Joy...

I think my last wish will be for the new people to the group. We have some youthful enthusiasm coming to us in 2012 that will carry the energy of the group forward hopefully in perpetuity. My wish is for the new victims, err trainees, to find the energy and excitement we veterans have discovered as we have crossed our own personal finish lines along our journey of self discovery.

Oh yes, and a Volkwagon Thing (~1971) for the third garage. That side of the garage is in need of an oil stain! Joooyyyy???
-----

I thought I would share an Indian Chrsitmas story for you. I mentioned above our friends Ken and Dori, well I guess living in a Hindu and Muslim his Christmas Day is not as much a holiday as ours...

"As for Christmas day I am driving up to Ahmedabad to meet a running buddy from Mumbai.   We are running the Ahmedabad Marathon starting at 6:00 AM on Christmas morning.   I figured I would never again get a chance to run a marathon on Christmas Day so what the heck – more memories.   The two of us will drive back to Baroda later that morning and head over to the Welcome Hotel in Baroda for a Christmas lunch.   My buddy from Mumbai flies back later that afternoon and then Dori and I will head over to my bosses place for Christmas dinner.   I should sleep well that night."

I guess Santa will have to wait for Ken as he will be too hard to catch! Ken, see you in September.
-----

Only one more reminder until I fully blog out... http://trottingthetrails.blogspot.com/ and register with the email address or at the bottom click on the "Subscribe to: Posts (Atom) ". Things will not change much, except I will be able to be more pertinent to the group's needs. Next week will be my last week of the norm.
-----

May your training always be 'Joy'able.

See you all soon,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment