Friday 16 March 2012

Are you perfect?

Where does the time go? I look down to my watch and see that it is Friday. Who knows where the time goes when we sit at our desk on Monday morning and all of a sudden Jimmy Buffett is singing "It's five o'clock somewhere". I could so be in Margueritaville right now!

So where to trot this weekend? The weather has been fantastic this week and tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day. So I think we need to find a place with green and great views. I think we will meet at the Glennfield Meadows parking lot within Fish Creek Park. The lot is accessed off Macleod Trail and Bannister Road, opposite Green Gate Garden Centre. See you all there at 9am.
-----

We missed the original airing last night of The Perfect Runner last night on The Nature of Things but fortunately there is another airing later this week. The Calgary Herald covered a story on this Edmonton filmmaker and his journey to put science into long distance running. I like that he considers our butt based environment of office and car to be the true 'extreme'. I might have to agree. Who can recall their youth where activity was always at the forefront of our day and the Playstation, PVR, and computer surfing were not considered 'activity'?
-----

I look back on my teaching of stride and movement for our many groups and think about our 'perfect' stride. Is this really a true statement? We all have a different body structure, 'parts' that don't fit where they used to, and our practice is not as refined as the elite athlete. So where do we become the perfect athlete? If we choose to only compare ourselves to ourselves we will have much greater success in finding perfection. If you think of all our media today much of it is photo enhanced to offer us the supposed 'ideal' person. Are we really able to become the perfect person when our comparable is photoshopped?



We all can move in our own fashion. The finish line is the same distance from the start no matter when you cross those lines!
-----
There was a question about race prep from one our Lausanne participants so I thought I would pull out an old newspaper article that I think highlights the important pieces to a successful trot in Switzerland.

First, you must have a good quality hat to protect from the elements. As you see, the chicken DID come before the egg.

Second, bring a camera. You never know what you might see along the journey. Wildlife abound!

Third, enjoy yourself. Smiling is the only option.

And finally, bring cash as there are many 'distractions' along a route that might cause you to need a drink, food, or a great souvenir. Why would you pass up on the experieince???

I still don't know what this reporter wrote, but I am sure it had alot to do with the beautiful mountains of Evian, France in the background. I am sure that is it...



No comments:

Post a Comment