Thursday 22 March 2012

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night

Okay, the office staff were singing a song today from the Sound of Music. Perhaps it was the winter wonderland of today that reminded them of the Christmas classic? Maybe it is just a group of happy singers looking for that forum to share their enthusiasm for the day? All I am thinking is nuts!

Well, what I was really thinking was to wish our Prague Half Marathon group a singing salute, an adios so to speak, or sing. Yes, all the training, whining, hobbling, check-backs and high fives have led to this last week of prep for the big Hervis Half. A special shout out to Afton and Janelle who started with shortness of breath and fear of trotting now becoming well conditioned athletes! Or so we say...I don't think they knew what they were in for

-----

For those of you wishing to temp fate and join us for a lovely day on the trails let's meet at Bowness Park Lagoon for our Saturday trot. Park in the first lot next to the coffee shop and washrooms. See you there at 9 am sharp! (ok, ish for me)
-----

A quick shout out to our friend Peter who ran his first half in NYC last weekend. A fantastic time of 1:59! I love that the NYRR have an age graded time of which Peter ran the 'equivalent' of 1:43, that is fast! The winner finished the race in under an hour, which means he ran TWICE as fast as our average pace. Could you keep that up?
-----

With some of our group (not John Boy!) off to another European adventure I thought we should chat a bit about packing for the trip. Specifically our race day gear. Nothing is worse than travelling overseas and realizing you forgot the most important part of your trip. I have forgotten my shoes, I even wore two different shoes to a race (note to self, don't dress in the dark), and forgot the race bib that tracks your timing for the race crew. Simple things but they will matter if you don't have them.

I support getting dressed in your gear that you intend to wear race day before you leave your home. Yep, look a geared up in your bedroom! Think head to toe:

- Hat (or tuque or chicken)
- sunglasses
- sunscreen and bodyglide
- earrings and necklace (y'know you need this)
- shirt (long and short sleeve)
- jacket
- running bra
- gloves
- water belt
- electrolytes (gels, caplets, salt tabs, etc.)
- camera and cash (trust me, these are most important)
- ID (stranger in a strange land)
- running underwear
- shorts and tights (just in case)
- not one but TWO pair of socks (perhaps a compression pair for the airplane?)
- and the one thing that is most important, your shoes.

What have I missed? going by memory and of course it is not as vast as I like to remember...The most important thing I missed is whatever makes you feel comfortable to finish your goal. I had six bags of potato chips pinned on my back for Joy...she finished!

The list is long but I suggest you get dressed at home, feel comfortable with what you have on, then pack it in your carry-on. Wear those running shoes on the plane to save luggage space. By having your race gear with you, lost luggage only means a stop to Marks and Spencer to pick up new 'unmentionables'. Trying to find comfy trotting gear and the RIGHT shoes for a race would be darn near impossible.

So don't forget to pack the gear you need to get to the start line. Oh yes, last year I forgot an important piece that almost made me miss the Disneyworld Marathon...my passport expired. Thank you Canadian Border Services for turning over a new passport within 20 hours. Who says government is bogged down???




1 comment:

  1. That was priceless when you were frantically trying to get a new passport in less than 24 hours. Kristine and I still laugh about it to this day.

    ReplyDelete