Thursday 9 August 2012

Hail a Limo? Or 'I nude we shouldn't have run that way!'



Well hasn't this been a particularly interesting trotting week? From the generosity of a local businessman to the openness of Calgarians we were blessed with many good people helping the group get from point A to B. Perhaps this Saturday we will have an equally interesting morning? Let's find out by meeting at Eau Claire at 8 am. I know a few of you want to get some longer distance in before your fall runs and walks, so I think this will be the best for Saturday. See you then!

-----
So last week we had an interesting Tuesday...

Let me tell you all the story…

We went running on Tuesday, Joy, Lorianne, and Courtney did 1&4’s and ran to the post and back. John, Carroll, Blaine, and the rest of the Tech Shop Gang went up Hope Street to start some hill training.

Five minutes in we were up the first hill. I sent the quick kids over the hill and down the stairs to the Glencoe club, while I waited for the turtles (remember, slow and steady wins the race!). As they finally peaked the hill the first ‘SPLAT’ hit the ground. Hail… I told the five I was with to head for the trees and hold on. The hail came down big and hard. We had good protection from it, other than the pine cones and random hail getting through the branches.

We huddled tight and held on. Then it came…up the hill…big and black…a limousine pulled up beside us shivering runners and rolled down the window. “Do you need a lift?”

Faster than John reaching for the last piece of bacon, the five of us piled in to the limo and enjoyed a relaxing trip through the rain and hail back to the store. I did feel a pinch of guilt, so I grabbed Joy’s car keys and headed out to find her troop. Down and back on Rideau Road delivered no results. I headed back to the shop and waited hoping my delicate flower would still be in her full bloom.

And yes she was, a blooming drowned rat and her two troopers, coming in all battered and bruised from NOT finding a tree nor a limo to offer a kind return to our start.

The other half of the hill-people were stuck under the well supported upper level of the Glencoe Club, dry, safe and protected.

You all missed a good one. And this was only the part of the interesting week!

As some of you know, Jen has forced (I am so easily coerced) me to help her train for some trail trots. A few of us went out for a Friday trail experience and came across an interesting sign

If a nudist asks about the Stampede in an agressive manor, would Walt Wawra need to defend himself with a gun?
I will say that the girls wished to keep going further as they could see a man missing his gear for trotting (although some do train this way), but the boys were persuasive and the group retreated to allow privacy to prevail. So just a heads up to you if you are off on a remote trail within the city limits you may indeed run into a bare...which hopefully will not bite!
-----
Thank you to the crew at Strides for hosting a wonderful group of 25 who ran, walked, and hiked in Canmore last weekend. Well done! I look forward to your next adventure!

Adventure? Hmmm, anyone up for a ring around the Upper Kananaskis Lake? it is 16 km and totally fun. Hopefully the new river has retreated. I would like to do this over the next couple of weekends...
-----
Olympics? I hear they have some new events...


would this make them three times faster?


 Greg shared with me an article that talks about sport drinks and how they relate to our fitness. I am always interested in what the next great benefit to training might be and usually it can be debunked when researched. I have never really thought sport drinks were worth it as they are soft drinks by category. Perhaps this story in the Calgary Herald will prove them to be all a money making myth? But if it works for you then it must be true!

And finally April shared a wonderful video on finding greatness. I think it speaks to many of us as we drag our bodies out of bed, drag our feet along the paths, and wear drag...wait, not that.

Thanks April.

No comments:

Post a Comment