Friday 31 August 2012

The first days of...

So do you remember your first day? There are so many first days that I find memorable. The first day of marriage, of school, of living on my own, of employment. The first day of any journey can be remarkable in many senses. At my work we have had a number of firsts that have opened my eyes to the wonder of education.
I so want the paisley jacket of my father-in-law! I miss our old backyard...

Since I joined SAIT for my third term of employment (my first hire date was July 1, 1991) I have been witness to an amazing transformation of this wonderful campus. Last Thursday my wonderful bride (see first marriage above) joined me as we opened the new buildings for the next generation of students. If you want to come see them on the 15th I will be here all day!

I remember too the first day of my marathon journey. It was May 25, 1996 (give or take a day) when I along with my favorite group of future uncoachables met for the first time with 'where the hell's' Angus Cowan, our first marathon journey coach and the person who helped me find a passion for running beyond a track.

There will never be another first marathon, half, or ten km for that matter, but I would never give away that first time for anything. Thank you Angus, Bill and Maggie, Jim and Terrie, Robbie, Tagyn, Colleen, and the rest of the original uncoachables. If it wasn't for that aforementioned wedding I think you all might have been the most memorable first day!

Our friend Colleen was memorialized by the Uncoachables with a bench over near Edworthy
 -----
I thought I might have luck to coerce some friends to run around Upper Kananaskis Lake tomorrow, but alas it was not meant to be. Since it is a long weekend we will meet at Eau Claire and trot the trails from the YMCA. See you there for an enjoyable 8am.

Would you guess this forest is only 4 km from downtown? I love our urban trails.
-----
I see that my friends at Banff Caribou Lodge and Best of Banff are organizing another "Race Amazing Banff" on October 12th and 13th. It sounds like a ton of fun but I think I would have to be a cheer support for this one. Are any of you in?
-----
As always our friend April Clay has a good piece of reference material to discuss the proper form of running. Is there a proper form? I think every body is unique and has the abilty to do what it wants in its own way. Screw all the notions of this way or your wrong...or am I wrong?

----- And so to ensure that I don't just leave you on a rant, a fun video from Jen...perhaps this is why that cyclist yeasterday got hit by a deer! Or better yet, would this prevent the whole performance enhancing issues of the Tour de France?

No comments:

Post a Comment