Friday 9 November 2012

Philanthropy is...

Hello everyone. Love the snow and cold! Okay, stretching the truth is fun when you are with a niece or nephew, but most of you would kick my butt with that statement! The good part of a big snow dump is I got to pull out the snow blower and push it around the driveway for a half hour this morning. When the snow is that deep I am lucky to have the little snow-eater to push. Due to the cold and snow we will revert to Eau Claire for this Saturday to utilize the cities pathway patrol who ensure we have clean paths BEFORE the city roads. See you Saturday at 9 am.
Willie and Ken, two fellow trotters who have raised
ten's of thousands for Arthritis among other charities
-----
Did you know that this week is Philanthropy Awareness Week? One week each year we celebrate across the world the gift of philanthropy. What is the word to you? Is it the gift of cash? Is it time? What about attitude? Philanthropy is many things to many people. For me it has evolved. It is now my career, a rewarding career in that every day I get to meet someone that is SO excited to make a difference in another persons life.

I think back to my youth and what was instilled in me by my parents. My earliest recollection of supporting the community was through volunteering at our community centre and supporting our local community projects. I remember heading out on any given evening with my box of chocolate covered almonds (without any guardian!) selling them door-to-door, raking in the crumpled dollar bills and then turning it over to whatever fundraiser was that month.

Now Joy and I contribute to a student award in honour of her dad and brother. We aim to make school a little easier for someone. It is a little thing we do but hopefully it makes a difference. Today I look at the mirror and see crazy grey stubble from my GROWvember (support us???) mustache. Something new to try and I fear the results of 30 days without shaving! I'd share a photo but you know it would add five days of growth.

We give to our friends causes, we give when we are at church, we give when the United Way invades the office. We also give when we volunteer at events like Mother's Day Run & Walk, the Police Half, The Walk to Fight Arthritis, Joints in Motion, Harvest Half Marathon, or any of the hundred's of other events that occur over a year in any town or city across our land. Bake sales, Church bazaar's, garage sales, they all have the ability to create that little bit of change for our community.

This year I am lucky to be the Volunteer Chair of Philanthropy Awareness Week. We have over 90 volunteers that have gathered to support this industry and I am blessed to meet and greet all of them as they help create a better understanding of how each and every one of us have made the place where we live a much better place. I am sure all my friends that read this from India to Australia, England to Victoria will all share in saying philanthropy is everywhere.

Last week I chatted about Angus Cowan and his little 5 km race that started with coffee talk and only a few people outside the CBC. It has now grown to where over $44,000 was raised last year for the Food Bank and $150,000 since he first 'Ambled'. A little thought can create ALL the difference.

So I ask of you all to share one word that you think describes philanthropy. I will start with this: unselfish. And yours?

-----
For all my trotting girlfriends - or so Joy calls you all - you may be interested in a program next year that I can't do (scream discrimination!). Jen Lowery, daughter of the Calgary Marathon race director is offering a wonderful opportunity to dance with dirt next June. If you have tried trail trotting or want to without me around (hey!) check out this program as I am sure it will be worthwhile. Ally, this so screams of you!





No comments:

Post a Comment