Friday 8 March 2013

Will our trotting produce white smoke?

As a lifelong plodder of the trails of our communities I have been witness to many events that have 'shaped' our group. From the infamous 'bike path passion' last year of two pre-stampede amorous individuals to the colour-blind runs of Ally and others who proved that trotters indeed have the full rainbow of gear needed to complete the left-right-repeat of our chosen passion. Sorry, no passion photos for you all...

Next week I have the privilege of joining some like-minded individuals in Rome to form our own conclave and decide on what is truly important - how to complete the Rome Marathon. Depending on the results of the 'other' Conclave we could be heading straight into millions of people trying to wave at the newest Pope as he rides the Popemobile around Vatican City. I wonder if the race organizers could have predicted their event would be right in the middle of a billion Catholics and their next chosen leader? Well fresh off the presses...I could be trotting at night!

Interesting that the event will fall on St. Patrick's Day. I can only imagine the outfit I might have to wear so my troop can see me...

I wonder as well if the current Pope Benedict will go back to his roots and do the marathon with us next week? He will have tough competition from the nuns!

Is being blessed by a higher power a performance enhancing drug?

The Pope breaking the finish line tape. He is always the leader!
Okay, enough of that nonsense. The next two Saturdays will be Eau Claire days. See you there at 9 am but I will just be thinking of you next week.
-----
One of my favourite stair climbs is coming up soon. The annual Climb for Wilderness at the Calgary Tower is   coming up on April 20th. If you are interested in art, every stairwell landing is painted by students and there is some fantastic work to be seen.

-----
Our good friend April Clay provided and interesting link to why our brain gets tired while exercising. I have done events that have taken up to 35 hours to complete and I totally understand the mental fatigue comments that the story suggests. I have always stated that we can all trot out a marathon on any given day as our body has the physical ability to get'r done, but the mental ability is usually the hindrance. Yes, injuries are a hindrance too but given the right motivation we can pretty much go on forever. Run Forrest, run!

Thanks April.



No comments:

Post a Comment