Friday 13 June 2014

A Nose for Good Memories

Nose Hill is awesome. There, I said it. I first discovered Nose Hill when my family moved to its' base in April of 1978. A new house, new neighbours, new school, and new adventures. I had many travels to the park, visiting Porcupine Valley, Turtle Rock, and that community that seemed to be a day away - Edgemont (in reality about 4 km). I saw deer, coyotes, the aforementioned porcupines, hawks, and many other animals in nature.

I also saw grass fires, gophers becoming prey, and some crazy off-roading by my old friends who owned Atlas Television on Edmonton Trail (and also sold quads?) Memories of those days are great and forming to my love of the outdoors. Last week we travelled with the group to again travel the paths of Nose Hill and for me regain some youthful memories. We did see three deer, two coyotes and their potential den, plus many incredible views of the mountains, city, and airport along with the never ending prairie grass of the largest urban park in Canada. Thanks to Christine, Jodi (with Storm), Adrian and Blaine for sharing a great day on the hills of my youth.

Blaine and Adrian talking shop

Christine hustling the hill

Leading us to the light

the light is burning!

Taking a road less travelled

Nose Hill - Single Track heaven

the Hills were alive with the sounds of heavy breathing
For this week the votes are in: Joy was given three options for a trot and chose Max Bell Arena for our start and finish. See you there at 8 am? I do hope so. If you don't think the trot is in the cards perhaps you can join us at Main Dish around 10 am for breakfast. You know we will be there!

I want to pass a shout out to one of our fellow athletes who has taken on the Walk to Fight Arthritis as the volunteer chair of the organizing committee. Jen and her team of volunteers put on another successful event, raising over $100K for Arthritis research and education.
Well done Jen!
For the first time in fifteen years of either the Walk to Fight Arthritis, Jingle Bell Run, or Joints in Motion, I didn't involve myself in the event this year. Joy, Sadie, and me skipped town to Canmore (Joy was already there for a work team-builder) and went for a ride. Tell me this little Westie doesn't love their stroller and the wind within its' whiskers? She doesn't have a helmet but she is secured by a climbing carabiner.
Does this nose know no fear?
I am three weeks late in supporting Lauren on this (Sorry Lauren) but she has a series of tester nights scheduled at the Tech Shop for those of us who like to trot on Thursday's. June 19 she has Saucony and June 26 Peal Izumi. I realize that I have missed the last three Thursday's as I didn't get to try the Mizuno, New Balance, or Brooks options! I am truly a slacker these days.If you need some answers check out www.thetechshop.ca.

No comments:

Post a Comment