Friday 6 June 2014

Rock and Goals

A week of travel is at an end. Learning, lounging, and lunging filled my days in Edmonton. Now back to a weekend of Joy. Well, Joy is off to Canmore for a girls weekend so I will start the weekend on Sunday.

My conference was all about fundraising. Would it be anything else? The Canadian Council for the Advancement of Education. Funny enough I ran into fellow uncoachable alumnus Jim who also works in education and happened to be doing a presentation on-you guessed it-education. Great to see a member of my very first marathon group in 1996. Time does fly. On that note, it was three years ago this week another uncoachable passed away when Colleen went to find never ending trails and chocolate supplies.
Always full of smiles and giving
So tomorrow will be an early day. I promised to start our summer of trotting off right by moving to 8 am. I guess I better do what I say and let's meet at Nose Hill Park for this early start. I think we will start on the top of the hill along Shaganappi Trail north of John Laurie Boulevard. Just keep heading up that hill until the top and on the right you will see a parking lot. There is a washroom there. Whether it is open is the question!

So it was ten years ago this week that a gaggle of guys and gals went south to San Diego to experience the Rock and Roll Marathon in that city. It was a great trip with many good people: Anne Marie, Sylvia, Carol, Ally, Sharon, Joanne & Mike, Quentin, Scott, Al & Dianne, Willie, Barb, Gela & Doug, and others that have skipped my memory. We were there during games six and seven of the Flames Stanley Cup run of 2004. We gave it our best but our cheering in the sunny south of the US didn't quite get the job done. We did create some strange glances in the pubs when we asked to turn the televisions from the NBA finals to the NHL. I tried to offer some sweat and beers to the hockey gods by wearing a Flames jersey the entire race. I even sped along to finish in 3:12, but like Gelinas the video replay showed no win. I did make the San Diego paper and got some props from the California media, but hockey was quickly lost to running Elvis.
Game Six in Old Towne San Diego

Game seven in the room

We were so young then! We are still young!

No comments:

Post a Comment