Friday 30 May 2014

Run with Whitlock

Hard to believe it's been ten years since he dropped me like a lead weight at 22 km. It all started on the streets of Toronto. It actually started earlier that morning at breakfast, but let's focus on the event. It was my second foray into Ontario and the big smoke for a marathon. The first was back in 1997 for a 24 hour race, but let's refocus on the event. 

It was the Toronto Waterfront Marathon. Correction, the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon. I was in the prime of my marathon career. Fresh off another visit to the Boston Marathon the year prior, I was running consistently in the 3 hour marathon pace group. So I set out that morning to regain the sub three marathon time I had accomplished a few years prior. I was ready.

And then there he was. I felt like a groupie in Forrest Gump. Remember in the movie when he just started to run and run and run? Then all those people wanted the chance to run with him (see Martin Parnell for a local comparison)
We are kin - he undefeatable - me uncoachable!
So it was him, me, and about fifty groupies (me too?) setting off to run a three hour marathon. We started well, my watch was telling me we were clipping off the kilometres in great time. We hit the half under ninety minutes and were doing well. Then it happened...

He pulled away. He accelerated. He showed this young buck what an Octogenarian could do. He found dust on the street and flung it in my face. He kicked my a...spirations. The guy was, is, and always will be Ed Whitlock. He is the guy who ran a sub three marathon in his seventies. He who is still breaking world records in the eighties. He is the guy that you can't believe is doing it so well.

He is...
He already spoke today but you can see him Sunday
While I did get beat by Ed that day, he did 'only' trot a 3:02 marathon that day at age 74. I was decent at 3:10, but was proved that I need to find some better cemetery training to regain my mojo.

I did beat another world record holder that day. He of the sandals, turban, and pushing 100 (which he just ran a marathon at that age). 
Fauja "the fleet footed flyer" Singh
So I am so far behind I will miss most of you for the trot tomorrow. Marge and Abby are joining Joy, Lorianne and me at 9 am over at Eau Claire. I am so far behind I hadn't changed the time in time so in time I will change to 8 am. That time will be next weekend. If I don't get an email out in time, let's meet next weekend in...how about Nose Hill? Let's discuss.

This weekend many of our group will be out trying to cross both the start and finish line of their races. Will you be out there to cheer them on? I am confident I will see Rose and the Tri-It staff along the marathon route. The ultra-marathoners will see her not once, twice, thrice, but four times! Out and back and out and back. thankfully I am just driving. Good luck Tamara, Peter, and all the rest trying their best to left-right-repeat. We are already proud of you.



I am behind for what I think might be a good reason. As you readers all know I have been deep in my month of race volunteering. Sunday is the last for the foreseeable future. But I also have a very worthwhile volunteer role. Last fall I was asked and accepted to be on the jury. Not THAT jury, rather the Generosity of Spirit Jury. What is this? The Generosity of Spirit Awards are handed out annually to various groups, organizations, and individuals. I have been reading biographies of our most generous philanthropists who donate their time, money, and expertise to keep our city as spectacular as it can be. 

I read one of the nominee biographies out loud to Joy on Thursday. Essentially it was about a boy and his brother. They were temporarily living in the Ronald MacDonald House (grab Kleenex here) as the brother was sick with Cancer. While there in support of his brother he started to help with small acts of kindness, collecting pull tabs off cans, and doing what he could to make life bearable for HIS house guests. When the brother passed (grab second Kleenex) he was so engaged with the House he continued to support HIS second home and fund raise, offer support to his new brothers and sisters, and generally make life bearable in the most unbearable of situations. Did I mention this boy is a mature NINE years old. Did I let you know he has been doing this for three years. Did I empty the box of Kleenex?

The jury has read their thirty-odd biographies, submitted their results to the judge, and are awaiting 'sentencing'. Next week we jury members meet for a final discussion and hopefully the winners enjoy the phone call. Look for our winners to be published in the fall. Hopefully I have helped select some wonderful people that you too can be proud. 

I think that's all for now. See you on the other side of today.

No comments:

Post a Comment