Friday 25 July 2014

An un-bear-able coincidence

Happy Friday my friends! It is a wonderful day here in Calgary. The air is cool and fresh which lets the day start with a scent of summer. When you are so close to the mountains the days do start with a mountain breeze, hopefully cooked by the high hanging sun. 

Last weekend I had the pleasure of heading into the mountains for a short retreat in Golden. Two days of golf, cards, and eating were great ways to break up the days. We did however find a hazard while golfing which seems to be a theme when I stay in BC for pleasure. We had a two year old black bear wander in front of us while I was about to tee off. 

I called the clubhouse to give them a heads up that there was a bear on course and received the reply "That's okay, we just let him play through." So that is exactly what we did and continued a wonderful day. 
The picture would have been closer but I had to run to my cart to get the camera
This one is from our balcony in Sooke. Black bears seem to like us.
So I am finally signed up for my first trot of the year. Hopefully I am trained appropriately. Next Wednesday evening the Calgary Zoo is hosting a 5 km run INSIDE the zoo to support their conservation causes. The zoo will be closed to regular visitors but the animals will be around to encourage us to go faster. Would you care to join us? It's only $20! Click on the zoo logo for info.
On a side note, I notice the Gorilla Run is off for 2014. I had the fortune of winning the race last year so I do hope I can trot it again in 2015. I will keep you in the loop.

As for this Saturday, the weather looks wonderful so why don't we find a nice route on Nose Hill? We did this a month or so ago and saw many deer and coyote. Perhaps we will spot a bear too? See you at the Shaganappi Trail entrance three km north of John Laurie Boulevard for an 8ish am start. It is walker and hiker friendly so lets see you all out there!

As I work for a non-profit I think this might be a good fundraiser. Anyone wish to enter?



No comments:

Post a Comment