Thursday 10 July 2014

Stampeding around the trails

Happy Stampede friends. Our annual pilgrimage to the land of excess is once again upon us. Rodeo and Chuckwagon events, over-priced beer, fake cowboys (I resemble that remark), and all things deep fried tease us once a year to head down to the Stampede grounds and experience the fun life of the urban cowboy. 
Stampede prep via 2013

I am sure it would taste good
Born in Vegreville, I don't.


Trouble 2.0

Always a hit at 8 pm each night 

Some of you may know that I have been volunteering for 25 years with this annual event, specifically with the Stampede Parade. I started in 1989 as a street marshal alongside my father who started fifteen years before me. Now as coordinator of Corporate and Non-Profit floats the Stampede is now year-round in this household. 
My fave float Beakerhead.org with hippolove.ca

As it is part of my volunteer role to support and promote the Stampede and its' parade I have taken this responsibility seriously. Yesterday was day six of the Stampede and I have been on park six days! Four days to go...

volunteer 'responsibilities'
Last night was a bit of retro for me on a couple of fronts. It was almost 30 years since I first saw Bryan Adams (that time with Luba, this time the Doobie Brothers). What a fantastic show. It was also retro for a Stampede Marathon memory as two of my training mates were in the crowd. It was great to see Kelly who was their with Deirdre, two-thirds of a three amigo (Helen included) training group who I had the pleasure of completing the 2002 race. We shared a photo of the four of us at 40 km which we kindly called the four stages of the marathon. The three amigos now are in the fifth stage, or non-runner!
Typical of Bryan Adams show? Count the cowboy hats!

Last weekend we had our usual default trot with Christine and me enjoying an out-and-back on the Douglas Fir Trails for a total 15 km trail trot. I can't believe for me this was my longest trot of the year. Somewhere in these last six months of the year I will have to find room to add 42.2 km to my annual marathon count. Any suggestions?

This weekend we will again meet at the default Eau Claire as we need to search the core for the perfect pancake breakfast. If you have opportunity to join us we will see you at 8 am. 

If you can't join us Saturday perhaps you might want to trot tomorrow at 7 am (beat the heat!) for Angus Cowan's annual Angus Cattle Run. He is always our inspiration.



No comments:

Post a Comment