Wednesday 16 November 2011

Jetlag Builds Character

Well hello again. I know you heard from me just on Monday, but I know you are all (well maybe a few of you) wondering what crazy paths John would like to lead you toward this weekend. This will be the start of our 9 am (cough, cough) WINTER running schedule. They say that this one is to be long and unbearable. Question to Big John and Marguerite in Australia: Will it be cold and wintery in Brisbane???

I was told the novel on Monday was a hard read. I type at a grade four level, act like a grade seven, and think like a Rhodes scholar. What spits out at the end of the mix is quite often blah-blah but I do hope you enjoy the read from top to bottom. Even War and Peace had a few extra pages in there.

This weekend looks to be a nice one, with some decent sunshine, crisp fall air, and the crunch of fallen leaves to soften our stride. Let’s enjoy the colours of fall with a return trip to Bowness Park. Yep, we were there only a couple of weeks ago, but Jen voted for it and she was the only vote! Feels like a typical election around here!

As we have a bunch of new people on the email this week, to let you know we will have options from 5 km to about 25 km depending on your pain threshold. I can make you sweat short or long…

If you are joining us, meet in Bowness Park next to the coffee and ice cream shop (the best combination?). Bowness Park is located on 48th Avenue NW just west of 85th Street. Don’t know how to find it? Call or email me….See you at 9 am next to the lagoon!

Our good friend Ally J is race director for her first ever event, the Robert Hamilton Memorial Run. It trots along the paths around Edworthy Park in the NW on  October 22nd starting at 8am. She is short on Volunteers and hoping you can support the race (this Is a 100% fundraising race for Mito Canada ) so any and all help is wanted / needed
Time of volunteering is 6:45- 11am at the latest. Ally can be reached at chooseenergyca@gmail.com or 403-400-4990.

REMEMBER! All of the events that we participate rely on volunteers to be successful. If you use the system, you have to support the system! Be a supportive and cheerful volunteer!

Yep, short and sweet. I can guarantee that you will be able to leave your computer now…but wait!

Every once in a while I need to pull out a story from a running buddy who gave a great read on the typical trot for our typical trotter. Nothing unusual even for the veterans.  I hope you enjoy as I did.  Thanks Carla for a great story that I get to rehash every once in a while. Makes me want to go back to Vegas! WOO HOO!!!
  
Well, I honestly didn't think I would finish. If you remember, I had asked you about my distance seeing as I had been sick and missed some crucial training days. I was so nervous I almost made myself sick the night before. 4am came too soon, and I couldn't decide how much water I was going to pack. I couldn't make up my mind whether or not I needed long sleeves. Should I eat one more oatmeal cookie? would it be better if I went back to bed? Maybe i should just run the half?

All told, my best run up to race day had been a slack 24k. I was feeling like the party guest who shows up in jeans, when everyone else was told to arrive ball-gown formal. I put my race in the hands of my physical health. I left my knees out of that little conversation I had with myself. I ate right. I over-hydrated. I needed all the help I could get (or so I thought).

The first 5 miles were excellent. I asked my group (Saskatoon) if we could stop for a pee-station. 8 minutes. not too bad. it happens. We got to the split where the halfers were turning back. If I was going to ditch out, now was the time to take a bow. Darryl, the trainer from Saskatoon, turned around to me and said "good luck". I said "I'm coming with you guys." Right around the corner was a kid with a bag of pretzels. My luck was turning?!

We started down Freemont and my family was there with cameras and flags. My grandpa was there, my hero. It was very cool. We were looking good.

We started running through residential areas. No pain, no tired legs. No blisters, no Advil. Just a love for what I was doing. Some good tunes, good conversation with my team-mates, some crazy women dressed in leopard mini-skirts were having a good time, stopping at every attraction to hoot and take pictures. They were great. A kid on his bike rode with us for a while, a man asked us if it was true that we didn't take our guns to the mall. Strange, yet all part of the scenery. I could see the strip again just past mile 20. no wall. I was pumped.

mile 22. the difference 2 miles can make when you've been running for 4 1/2 hours. I wanted to cry. nothing worked on my body anymore. but I was still sweating, so that was good. I stopped sweating one year when I ran Melissa's. that was bad.

Darryl kept me focused. without him, I'd still be sitting on the curb, somewhere north of Mandalay Bay praying for that kid on the bike to come back so I could pay him $20 for a pony ride. I DESPERATELY  didn't want to be left behind.  But I didn't stop. I plugged in a power song, straightened out and picked up the pace for my finishing photo and got the job done in 5:30:44.  My grandpa grabbed my hand the last 200m and I had nothing left to cry out. Without minimizing my wedding day and the birth of my son, it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. The girl who sold me those shoes is getting roses.

I know Darryl could had done that race in less than 3 hours. It meant a lot that he ran with us first-timers. we all crossed within a minute of each other.

John, I did it.
Carla

Makes me cry every time.

Have a great day,

John

No comments:

Post a Comment